Dec 16 2010
Having a blog is like having a song on the radio used to be. There are millions out there, so why would anyone listen to yours? The name of the game with blogs is standing out, so people will be talking about it and you will have a popular item on your hands. Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn’t take a major publicity stunt a la Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan for people to get talking about your blog. Here are 5 easy ways to do it.
1. Stand up and say something passionate. Being passionate and being offensive are two different things. Someone like Lou Dobbs has the passion down; someone like Bill O’Reilly is just plain offensive. You want to get out there as someone who has something to say, so say your peace passionately and people will be talking about you in no time. Dobbs’ crusade on behalf of jailed U.S. border patrol guards eventually got their convictions appealed. No one got hotter under the collar than Dobbs.
2. Attack. It might sound a bit draining to take the offensive and attack a major figure, but if you don’t have the guts to do it, what’s the point? Bloggers are not like White House correspondents for the New York Times. They don’t have to interview the president on a regular basis and don’t have to be as polite. In fact, that is one of the reasons bloggers are so popular. They get to say the things the establishment writers cannot. If you find someone worthy of attack, pounce on him or her. People will listen.
3. Be a cultural center. Some people love politics; other like politics and love music; still others like music and politics but love art. Why not expand the reach of your blog and include a little more of the other topics that are relevant? Even though you might not want to sign off on a ‘lifestyle’ blog, it could be a great way to get people talking and increase traffic in a big way, if only through peripheral channels.
4. Be original. Originality seems to have taken a turn for the worse in recent times, but it is still possible to say something different. In fact, it is one of the only ways you will be able to succeed in the blogosphere. Find out what’s original about your point of view and work on getting more of that into every piece you write. In some cases, it will take a pair of outsider’s eyes to tell you just what that is.
5. Submit your own ‘blogcasts’ online. Are you a big personality? If you are, it may difficult to get it all out in a blog post. People need to see the living, breathing thing (you) to get the full impact. Do them a favor and film yourself reading some of your blog posts with digital video so they can be posted online. Even if you never saw yourself as a broadcaster, it could be just the thing to get people talking.
This article was written by Mona Pennypacker of Acorn Creative Studio who specializes in web site design in Colorado.