Apr 16 2012
The folks over at HubSpot have provided another dandy whitepaper on a topic near and dear to marketers involved in social media. I’m going to break down the high points for you in this post so you can get on with it… your social media marketing strategy.
Advantages of Google+
- Circles allows you to segment by sending updates to specific groups of followers rather than all of them resulting in higher click rates and engagement.
- Google+ updates and content endorsed with a +1 appear in the search results. Websites using the +1 button generate 3.5X the Google+ visits over sites without the button.
Disadvantages of Google+
- General confusion: “What’s the difference between posting to Google+ and just +1’ing content?” “How can I use Google+ to share content without it showing up in search results?”
- According to eMarketer, in January, users spent an average of just 3.3 minutes on Google+ compared to nearly 8 hours on Facebook and 100 minutes on Pinterest.
Advantages of Pinterest
- Rapid growth: As of February 2012, Pinterest had 10.4 million users and the average time spent on the site per visitor was 97.8 minutes. If these numbers continue to go up, then Pinterest is no fad.
- Users can download the pinmarklet which allows them to pin from any where on the web.
- Studies show that people love browsing through images online. Can your business find ways to share beautiful images on a booming social network dedicated to sharing images? Umm, yep.
Disadvantages of Pinterest
- If you’re not a retailer or product driven business, it can seem challenging to find a use for Pinterest. But, infographics, blog post images, charts and graphs all work on Pinterest.
- Lack of dedicated brand pages – Google+, Facebook, twitter, and LinkedIn all have spaces specifically for businesses. The challenge marketers face on Pinterest is figuring out how to market without it seeming like marketing.
- If you don’t have much time
- If your target demographic is male
- If you care about organic search
- If you can invest the time
- If your target demographic is female
- If you care about referrals
Get HubSpot’s full whitepaper: Battle of the New Social Networks, Google+ Pinterest.